Toronto offers a wide range of courses for International student education, and the institutions are divided into two major types. 

  • University provides academic and professional training, and research leading to degrees. 
  • Community Colleges offers certificate and diploma programs in career and vocational training. 
  • College-level institutions may also be known as colleges of applied arts and technology or technology institutes.

International Student Adviser in Toronto 

Most post-secondary institutions offer this option and designates a person to assist international students. He or she is the International, Overseas or International Student Adviser, and works in the International Education Office or Department of Student Services. 

Most secondary schools that charge fees for international students offer the services of an International Student Adviser or similar counselor.  Foreign students should report to this Adviser soon after arrival on campus to learn about orientation programs and other activities available through the International  Student Adviser`s office.

Educational Fees in Toronto

Approximate college fees for international students in Ontario for one academic year typically cost around $11,000 CDN and Undergraduate courses cost from $7,000 CDN – $19,000 CDN. 

Fees for international students at public schools are set by the province or by individual school boards, which usually have authority in a region or, in the case of large metropolitan areas, in a district of the city. Many boards do not charge fees; other boards charge fees ranging from approximately $7,000 CDN to $11,500 CDN per year.

If a student submits sufficient proof of 3 years of full-time study in English or any of the scores shown below they may be eligible for an offer with no further ESL pre-course requirements and may begin full time degree studies.

Learn and Study English (ESL) in TorontoFall 2010 ESL Requirements
English Language TestsScore
Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)70
Paper Based TOEFL580
Internet Based TOEFL86 (22 in writing and speaking, 20 in reading and listening)
IELTS6.5 IELTS (min 6.0 each band)

Students admitted with scores in English as a Second Language (ESL) Requirement will be required to take the ESL Foundation program. This program allows students to earn academic credits while completing the English requirements for full-time study.

George Brown College’s Intensive English program helps students learn English quickly and easily by providing a supportive environment where students from around the world come together to study English. 

Each level of the course focuses on listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. TESL certified teachers use a wide variety of techniques including interactive computer programs, videos, audiotapes, and books.

At the start of Level 7 or Level 8, students may choose:

  1. to continue in the regular Intensive English program, or 
  2. to pursue the Level 7 or Level 8 English for specific occupations, including Business, Technology, Health and Hospitality

Note: After completion of Level 8, there is also a Level 9 course to develop the higher language skills required for degree and postgraduate co-op programs offered.

Living Expenses in Toronto

Students must meet the financial costs of their studies and living arrangements in Canada. Citizenship and Immigration Canada requires proof the student has sufficient funds available. If the institution provides a cost of living estimate, the immigration officer will generally follow it. 

In the absence of a cost of living estimate, the immigration officer will require evidence of $10,000 or more of income/funds to cover 12 months of living expenses for a single student in Toronto. 

Acceptance at a Canadian school, university or college does not automatically secure accommodation in a residence. At universities and colleges, on-campus housing is often available with; arrangements for on-campus housing being made separately through the Director of Residences office. 

Student  housing accommodation are limited, and reservations must be made early. Complete information on housing is available from the housing office or the International Student Adviser at most institutions. Secondary students are usually responsible for securing their own housing arrangements.

Health Care in Toronto

Health care is expensive in Canada. It is imperative that every student and dependent obtain medical and hospital insurance. There are some private or supplementary plans available for international students, but some universities and colleges require students to purchase health insurance coverage through them, and it is not possible to arrange for health coverage in advance. 

Provincial coverage is available free of charge to international students, but students must nevertheless register with the provincial health care authority to ensure coverage.

Part Time Jobs in Toronto  

Part time jobs are available for international students attending universities and colleges. As a student with a valid study permit, students may work without a work permit on the campus of the publicly funded post-secondary institution they are enrolled in on a full-time basis. 

Students at private educational institutions authorized to confer degrees may also work part-time on-campus without requiring a work permit. 

Students may also apply for a work permit under certain conditions, which include the following:

  • The employment is certified by the educational institution as being an essential and integral part of the course of study.
  • Students have completed a community college or university program and wish to work for up to one year in employment related to the field of study completed.

Work permits can be obtained from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) before employment.